Vegan Tangerine & Almond Upside-Down Cake
This decadent cake combines a beautifully caramelised tangerine topping and a rich, almond sponge. We've used The Nut Kitchen Almond Paste to give the sponge its intense nutty flavour. You'll love how easy it is to create a stunning cake through the upside-down method; sugar and natural juices from the sicilian tangerines creates a glossy finish, and their vibrant orange colour is a show-stopper on its own.
For the Tangerine Layer:
- 6 Tangerines
- 2 tbsp Vegan Margarine
- 2 tbsp Caster Sugar or Muscovado Sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
For the Almond Sponge
- 1/2 cup The Nut Kitchen Almond Paste
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
- 3/4 caster sugar
- 2 tbsp agave nectar (or maple syrup)
- 1 1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups plain white flour
- 1/4 Tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 Tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 9-inch, springform tin with parchment paper and set aside.
- To create the Tangerine Layer, peel and slice your tangerines into thirds. Make sure that your tangerine slices are free of pips. Then, coat your tin with vegan margarine and sprinkle with caster sugar, ensuring an even coating. Top with sliced almonds.
- Layer your tangerine slices on top of the almonds. To fill in the gaps, cut your tangerines into quarters and halves. It's a good idea to try to get as much of the pan covered.
- To make the sponge, combine all your wet ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk until there are no lumps.
- Add the sugar to your wet ingredients. Whisk until the sugar has dissolved.
- Then, sift in the rest of your dry ingredients. Mix until there are no lumps, but be careful not to over mix to avoid a chewy sponge cake.
- Pour the almond sponge mix over your tangerines.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 22-30 minutes. All ovens vary - be sure to check with a clean cake skewer or sharp knife. Once done, the cake should be golden brown.
- Let the cake cool in its tin for 10 minutes, then remove the springform sides. Let it cool completely.
- Flip your cake over onto a cake plate. Remove the base and peel away the parchment paper. Voila! A gorgeous, caramelised topping. We drizzled on some almond paste, added some candied orange zest and a few sliced almonds, but top however you like.